It’s time to start a New Year! We’re excited for the winter gardening months ahead in the great Southwest USA. We hope you’re able to enjoy somewhat mild winter weather where you are and spend some time in the garden. Then you can enjoy the benefits of gardening for your body and mind!
In this blog post, we want to share some of our favorite New Year’s resolutions for your garden that we found while browsing a variety of gardening websites recently. Here are a few good ones below for you to enjoy gardening more in 2021!
- Start gardening. “The #1 resolution on my list is to get gardening! Gardening comes with many benefits for our physical, emotional, and mental well-being. In fact, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, gardening for just 2.5 hours a week can reduce the risk of common conditions like heart disease, high blood pressure, and osteoporosis. Gardening has also been shown to ward off depression and anxiety. Plus, nothing beats the smell of flowers in bloom, or the taste of fresh, homegrown vegetables.”
- Plant a fruit tree. “Been envious of your neighbors with their fresh pears or apples? Try your hand at planting a fruit tree this year. Not only will you get delicious eats, but you’ll increase the value of your property.”
- Learn about your soil. “Healthy soil is the basis for healthy plants. Soil is a dynamic, living ecosystem made up of billions of microscopic organisms. How you treat your soil has an impact on that ecosystem, which in turn has an impact on how well your plants will grow.”
- Plant garden themes. “Try something new in the garden and plant around a theme. Some ideas to consider: a spa garden where you grow plants that can be crafted into beauty products (think lavender, rosemary, and citrus) or a tasty tea garden (think peppermint, lemon balm, and lemon verbena). Even consider planting mosquito repellents like pelargoniums, catnip, and marigolds. These theme gardens work wonderfully in large containers.”
- Start a vertical hanging garden. “Make gardening fun again with your own vertical hanging garden, It’s the modern way to start gardening in 2021. Tending to your plants, flowers, and vegetables while standing up can give you more maneuverability around your garden.”
As you can see, there are plenty of good ideas for you to use as your New Year’s resolutions for your garden.
From all of us here at Flower Street Urban Gardens, we want to wish you and yours a very Happy New Year, and a great 2021 for all of us!